J. D. Arkison

From Wooljersey
Revision as of 03:13, 12 November 2021 by Morgan (talk | contribs) (→‎Clubs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

https://fastestslowguy.blogspot.com/search?q=Arkison

James Davidson Arkison 1848 - Jan 27, 1929

Clubs


The Bay City reception and biquet (corrupted into bike-eat) to the Division officers of the League on Wednesday evening was a huge success. The proceedings after the cloth was removed are reported as follows: The first regular toast of the evening, the "League of American Wheelmen," was responded to by Chief Consul Welch; "The San Francisco Bicycle Club, the Parent of Club Cycling on the Pacific Coast," was responded to by Mr. J. W. Gibson; "The Highland Park Wheelmen, Who Get There All the Same," by Mr. A. J. Rosborough; "The Oakland Ramblers," by Mr. J. D. Arkison; "The Park Commissioners," by Harry A. Greene, who proposed in turn "The Bay City Wheelmen." A number of impromptu toast follows. Interspersed were songs by the Clipper Quartette and Messrs. Hammond and Rosborough, and a recitation by Dr. Thomas A. Hill. The event of the evening was a song composed for the occasion by Mr. S. F. Booth, Jr., who was immediately proclaimed the poet laureate of the Division. At midnight the party adjourned after joining hands around the table and singing "Auld Lang Syne."

On Wheels. - Daily Alta California, Volume 40, Number 13412, 17 May 1886

Last evening the following bicycle riders met in the Hall of Records for the purpose of organizing a new bicycle club in Oakland: Guy Earl, C. L. Tisdale, Robert Edgar, R. H. Magill, Jr., L. Sears, W. W. Haralson, W. J. Bowman, L. A. Kelly, Jr., Charles Biederman, Frank Blinn, Julias Lutgen, Alex. Ireland and J. D. Arkison. An election of officers resulted in the following choice: President, Guy Earl; Vice-President, C. L. Tisdale; Secretary and Treasurer, Robert Edgar. Road Officers - R. H. Magill, Jr., Captain, and L. Sears, Lieutenant. A uniform was adopted, which consists of dark shoes, navy-blue knit pants and coat with initial letters of club on coat-collar, white flannel shirt with blue trimmings and black helmet.

CYCLISTS. - Election of Officers of a New Bicycle Club. - Oakland Tribune, 23 Sep 1886

The Oakland Ramblers have, by an unanimous vote, decided to support the following nominees at the coming election of the Californian Division, L. A. W.: R. M. Welch, Chief Consul, B. C. W.; R. H. Magill Jr., Secretary, Treasurer, O. R.; C. J. Krytser, Local Consul; J. D. Arkison, representative for Oakland.

...

The officers of the meeting will be as follows: Committee of Arrangements - C. J. Krytser, L. Sears, R. H. Magill Jr., C. D. Haven Jr., J. S. Tisdale: referee, Ralph de Claremont, San Francisco Bicycle Club; starter, J. D. Arkison, O. R.; judges - Harrison Houseworth, San Francisco Bicycle Club, Harry Hatch, O. R., W. M. Meeker Jr.; timers - George H. Strong, San Francisco Bicycle Club, William P. Lyons, O. R., E. Gibbs, San Francisco Bicycle Club; clerk of the course, J. L. Tisdale, O. R.; scorers - Philip Remillard, O. R., J. C. Lutjen, O. R., P. J. Chapman, O. R.

WHEELERS. - Oakland Tribune, 16 Feb 1887

Representative Arkison, mounted on his old war horse, created quite an impression on the Haywardites with his immense white helmet, a la Stevens.

The Wheel. - San Francisco Chronicle, 30 May 1887

At the semi-annual election of the Ariel Bicycle Club, held a few days ago, the following officers were elected: J. D. Arkison, President; L. Sears, Treasurer; Charles Havens, Secretary: H. A. Maxwell, Captain, and T. Grimes, Lieutenant. Directors - L. Sears, J. D. Arkison, C. Havens, W. G. A. Miller, and C. J. Kryster. On Saturday evening next the club will have a little social time at the clubrooms in the Shattuck Hall, corner of Eighth street and Broadway. The occasion will be the presentation of the medals won at the tournament held on Thanksgiving Day. President Arkison of the club will present the medals, after which a banquet will be had.

THE WHEELMEN. - Election of Officers of the Ariel Bicycle Club. - Oakland Tribune, 01 Feb 1888