J. W. Mullen

From Wooljersey

Believe this is him: James W Mullen 1875 – 25 July 1931


Olympic Club Wheelmen

J. W. Mullen, F. G. Montealegre and Dr. T. H. Morris of the Olympic Club Wheelmen made a trip through San Mateo County last Saturday, which was replete with incidents and accidents. They left here via train Saturday afternoon, and commenced wheeling to San Mateo, going in the direction of Halfmoon Bay. The roads were good and the grades easy, and they reeled off the first fourteen miles of their journey in good time. After leaving Halfmoon Bay the road is very sandy for seven or eight miles and only ridable in places. Then came a climb of five miles, and when they reached the summit it was discovered that Montealegre had broken his front sprocket wheel and Mullen had punctured his tire, so they walked the remaining three miles to Pescadero, arriving there at 9:30 p. m. The next morning the village blacksmith was called upon, and he gave up the attempt to repair either wheel after three hours' hard work. As there is no stage from Pescadero to Redwood City on Sundays Mullen and Montealegre had to pay a man $8 50 to carry them and their wheels to the nearest railway station, while Dr. Morris started back awheel. He had to do so much walking over the hilly roads, however, that his feet became badly blistered, and altogether it was a rather disgruntled party that arrived in Redwood Sunday night in time for the last train.

THE WHEELMEN. San Francisco Call, Volume 78, Number 15, 15 June 1895

The San Francisco Bicycle Track Association met last Thursday evening at the Olympic Club. Officers for the ensuing term were elected as follows: Judge F. H. Kerrigan, president; E. C. Douglass, vice-president, Joseph Sims, secretary; J. W. Mullen, treasurer. Some routine business was transacted, and the proposition of holding a race meet was discussed. The association will meet again on August 9, at the Young Men's Christian Association.

The Wheelmen. - The San Francisco Call, 20 Jul 1895

Pages which link here: