Capital City Wheelmen
See also: GS Capital City Wheelmen
The emblem chosen by twenty-seven votes in its favor, consists of a heart-shaped dark cloth background. On either side of a wheel rise white wings to the upper outer points of the hearts; above and below the wheel is a letter "C." The whole forms the ornamental letter "W," and for which also the wheel stands in the plan of the designer.
- H. Bennett
- John Breuner
- L. H. Cook
- H. A. Crocker
- De Merritt
- W. A. Dexter
- F. T. Dwyer
- Scott Ennis
- R. B. Flint
- W. B. Flye
- George Headman
- W. C. Heavener / W. C. Hevener
- W. A. Hubert
- George F. Hudson
- L. Ball Hughes
- R. H. Jewell
- N. N. Kimball
- C. S. King
- William Lampert
- M. S. Lavenson
- George Levenson
- Howard Martin
- J. A. M. Martin
- C. H. Oatman
- W. F. Purnell
- L. W. Ripley
- Al Rivett
- Fred Schadt
- J. T. Sheehan
- H. J. Toll / H. G. Toll
- L. S. Upson
- Charles S. Wells
- F. M. Woodson
- J. A. Woodson
- Charles E. Wright
An organization to be known as the Capital City Wheelmen has been effected in this city, with the following officers: H. Bennett, President; William Lampert, Captain; John Breuner, First Lieutenant; L. H. Cook, Second Lieutenant; C. H. Oatman, Secretary and Treasurer; L. Ball Hughes, Bugler.
The history of the Capital City Wheelmen is the record of a successful organization of enthusiastic cyclists. It was the sixth club formed in the State, the first board of officers being elected on June 25, 1886, as follows: President, H. Bennett; secretary and treasurer, C. H. Oatman; captain, W. C. Hevener; first lieutenant, W. B. Flye; second lieutenant, C. S. King; bugler, H. G. Toll. Among the charter members still in the club are H. Bennett, H. A. Crocker, C. S. King and R. B. Flint. The club occupied rooms in Masonic Temple from the date of its organization until last September, when it moved to the Odd Fellows' building, where it is now located. The club has always had representatives at the racemeets throughout the State who have always held their own. On September 15, 1886, at the races given by the State Agricultural Society, H. G. Toll and John Breuner came out with flying colors.
On Thanksgiving day, 1889, at Stockton, H. A. Crocker won the one-mile novice and the two mile scratch race. On the same day H. G. Toll came first in the half-mile race. On July 4, 1890, at the State meet held at San Jose, Al Rivett won the one-mile novice and came in second in the three-mile handicap. On Thanksgiving day, the same year, Rivett won a road race on the Riverside road in Sacramento for the club championship, covering the distance, three and three-eighth miles, in 10:56.
On July 4, 1891, at Stockton, L. S. Upson won the three-mile handicap on a foul. This race being unsatisfactory, a meeting between Upson and Alcayaga, his principal competitor, was held in Sacramento on October 4, at Agricultural Park, Upson winning handily. During this year Upson, the pride of the C. C. W.'s, has kept up his good work. On Decoration day, ar Alameda, although in poor condition, he won the two-mile handicap and came in second in the three-mile championship. On the Fourth of July at Stockton he won the one mile championship (ordinary); came in second in the half-mile safety, in which the record was lowered from 1:18 2-5 to 1:15 1-5, and won the one-mile ordinary, lowering the record from 1:22 1/2 to 1:18 1-5, for which he received a special medal.
Among other events the club participated in was the relay race against the Oak Leaf Wheelmen of Stockton, distance 52 miles, which the local club won in 3h. 9min. The men comprising the team were: Upson, Wells, De Merritt, Hudson and Dexter. The club recently joined the League of American Wheelmen. The present officers are: President, M. S. Lavenson; secretary-treasurer, L. W. Ripley; captain, W. A. Hubert; first lieutenant, H. A. Crocker; second lieutenant, R. H. Jewell; historian, N. N. Kimball; bugler, George Hudson; color-bearer, Howard Martin.
Capital City Wheelmen Adopt a New Badge.
The Capital City Wheelmen met last night, President Ennis presiding.
There was a good attendance, every seat in the clubroom being occupied. The badge award was made by ballot. There were over fifty designs submitted. The emblem chosen by twenty-seven votes in its favor, consists of a heart-shaped dark cloth background. On either side of a wheel rise white wings to the upper outer points of the hearts; above and below the wheel is a letter "C." The whole forms the ornamental letter "W," and for which also the wheel stands in the plan of the designer.
The club ordered a stamp made of the new emblem, and it will be free to use of members, that all the emblems may be cut and stitched alike.
BUREAU OF HIGHWAYS.
Some Important Bulletins Will Soon be Issued by It.
The Bureau of Highways held an important meeting yesterday, all the members being present.
Some time ago the Capital City Wheelmen requested the bureau to hold a meeting of conference with them for the consideration of road matters. At the meeting yesterday the Secretary was instructed to communicate with the wheelmen and ask them to set a date some time within a month for such a meeting.
The bureau has also decided to hold a conference with Labor Commissioner
Fitzgerald on the labor problem as concerning work on highways.
The Secretary was also instructed to communicate with the Code Commissioners and request a conference some time within the next thirty days in relation to road matters to be incorporated into the codes.
Bulletins will be prepared by the commission on the following subjects: "The History of Road Building." "The History of Road Building in the United States." Commissioner Manson will prepare one on "The Physical Features of the State," and Commissioner Irvine one on "The Effect of Roads on Industrial Development," which will deal with the economy of good roads. Commissioner Maude will prepare a “Manual of Road Building,” which will deal with location, drainage and surfacing of roads.
Movement to Have One Laid Out Between Here and Folsom.
At to-night's meeting of the Capital City Wheelmen steps will be taken to have a six-foot pathway cleared and smoothed off along the road from this city to Folsom, for bicycle riders.
This will be only preliminary to the laying of a cinder path the entire distance, but without the cinders it would be serviceable for a few months. All persons who feel an interest in this improvement are invited to attend the meeting and express their views on the subject.
Some are of the opinion that a narrower path would answer the purpose, but while about it the path might as well be made at least six feet in width, as there would be much passing and repassing of wheelmen.
It is said that such a path can be prepared in a week or two and at comparatively little expense.
Fastest in the World.
The San Francisco "World," referring to the new Sacramento cycle track, says:
The big Sacramento meet takes place on Sunday. June 6th, on which occasion will be opened what promises to be the fastest track that has yet been constructed in the world. It is a one-third mile affair, built of narrow strips of wood set on edge, similar to the construction of the Velodrome, and is under the control of the Capital City Wheelmen."