THE BICYCLE RUN. - Oakland Tribune, 30 Apr 1883
THE BICYCLE RUN.
Annual Meeting and Picnic of the Oakland and San Francisco clubs.
By invitation of the Oakland Bicycle Club, the San Francisco Club visited this city yesterday to participate in the annual run and picnic of the Oakland Club. The latter met the San Francisco Club at West Oakland at ten o'clock, and the line being formed the wheels rolled through Chester, Center, Ninth, Campbell, Fourteenth, Peralta, Thirty-fourth streets and Telegraph avenue to the crossroads, where a halt of half an hour was made for rest, after which the run was resumed along Alcatraz, San Pablo, Caledonia and Telegraph avenues and Merrimac and Webster streets to Adams' Point, where an excellent lunch was furnished by the Oakland Club. After remaining about an hour here, the wheelmen ran down Webster to Twenty-second, to Alice, to Center, to Peralta, where Mr. Leonard, of the San Francisco Club, gave an exhibition of fancy riding, which astonished even old riders. They then went to the Olympic Club athletic grounds, where a number speeded around the track. They left in time for the San Francisco visitors to catch the four o'clock train for home. A collision between two of the wheels, on Alcatraz avenue capsized both riders, but inflicted no damage. Several photographers were on hand at Adams' Point, and took some excellent views of the cavalcade. The following Oakland bicyclists were present: G. W. Strong, Captain; W. Lowden, Lieutenant; C. Burkhalter, E. Booth, W. F. Booth, W. M. Bunker, W. C. Gibbs, C. G. Yale, E. A. Rix, Dr. Jno. Rabe, H. H. Hurst, J. Stovy, W. L. Pattiani, A. Jellison, W. J. Bowman, Al. Ricardo. The following members of the San Francisco Club were present: H. Lowdon, Captain; Charles Leonard, Lieutenant; A. M. Waschauer, M. Feintich, R. F. Verrinder, Dr. Winter, F. Gibson, J. Day, G. F. Rideout. H. L. Chambers, H. A. Greene.
Here is a best attempt at illustrating the route of the 'run', using the 1876 Map of Oakland, Alameda and Vicinity by M. G. King, georeferenced on a modern map: