THEY ARE ONE NOW. - THE LEADING BICYCLE CLUBS AMALGAMATED. - The Pacific Road Club Merged With the San Francisco Bicycle Club. - San Francisco Chronicle, 30 Dec 1892
THEY ARE ONE NOW.
THE LEADING BICYCLE CLUBS AMALGAMATED.
The Pacific Road Club Merged With the San Francisco Bicycle Club.
A sensation bas been caused in cycling circles by the amalgamation of the Pacific Road Club and the San Francisco Bicycle Club, two of the leading bicycle organizations in this city. The San Francisco Bicycle Club enjoys the proud distinction of being the second bicycle club organized in Ameries. The Pacific Road Club was formed about eighteen months ago and contains many of the most active wheelmen in the State. The proposition for amalgamating the two clubs has been under consideration for several weeks and is really the outcome of the recent League of American Wheelmen fight in this State. The San Francisco Bicycle Club and the Bay City Wheelmen were arrayed against each other in the recent election. The Pacific Road Club sided in with the pioneer club and a strong friendship sprang up between the two clubs.
The Pacific Road Club held a meeting on Wednesday night in its clubrooms, corner of Van Ness avenue and Fulton streets. The proposition of the San Francisco Bicycle Club was submitted to the meeting by President Jesse Hazel. After considerable discussion it was unanimously agreed to amalgamate. The Pacific Road Club will be merged into the San Francisco Bicycle Club. The defunct club will have fair representation on the board of officers, as several of the San Francisco directors will resign so that members of the Pacific Rond Club can be appointed to fill their places. The arrangement was adjusted in a very amicable manner, and at the conclusion of the meeting Messrs. Knox and Welch of the San Francisco Club were introduced and made appropriate speeches.
The San Francisco Bicycle Club has now a membership of almost 200. The gentlemen who worked assiduously for the merging of the two clubs were Messrs. Knox and Edwards of the San Francisco Club and Messrs. Hazel, Loney, Ballard and Luby of the Pacific Road Club.
The San Francisco Bicycle Club was organized December 13, 1878. Colonel Ralph de Clairmont was the first president, and other prominent members were Captain George H. Strong, ex-governor George C. Perkins, John B. Golly, William H. Fuller, G. L. Cunningham, Fred G. Glynn and C. L. Barrett. The club incorporated this year with the following board of eleven directors; L. D. Owens, H. S. Field, Thomas R. Knox, H. J. Foley. J. C Spencer, H. C. Massie, Thomas R. Cobden, George F. Day, Eugene Unger, Will I. Pixley and B. T. Edwards
The clubrooms of the San Francisco Bicycle Club are on Golden Gate avenue.