Pacific Road Club
San Francisco, CA
Uniform & Emblem
The uniform is of a bluish slate color and is one of the neatest on the coast. It is frequently seen grouped in club rooms or in single suits speeding along the roads around the bay. A beautiful badge, consisting of a front view of a bicycle wheel on wings, inclosed in a golden circle on which is the club name in enamelled letters, has also been adopted.
- A. J. Aiken
- E. S. Battles
- Thomas D. Colestock
- C. Hazel
- Jessie Hazel
- A. T. Jansen
- J. F. Hancock
- V. A. Hancock
- H. Kuster
- J. C. Luby
- Edwin Mohrig
- L. L. Murch
- J. J. Zimmer
The number of bicycle clubs was increased the past week by the addition of two - the Hesperian Cyclists and the Pacific Road Club. The former is composed of young men from Hesperian Parlor of the Native Sons who reside Missionward; the latter of young men who intend to make road riding their great feature, and who are residents of the Western Addition. The "Dirty Dozen" is also another new one that has been in existence some two or three weeks.
The Wheelmen. - San Francisco Chronicle, 09 Nov 1891
An organization of wheelmen that is rapidly coming to the front is the Pacific Road Club of this city. It was organized on November 5, 1891, with the following charter members: A. T. Jansen, J. J. Zimmer, E. S. Battles, Edwin Mohrig, J. C. Luby, L. L. Murch, H. Kuster, A. J. Aiken, Thomas D. Colestock and J. F. Hancock.
The name under which the club has since been known was adopted after it had been decided that its main object should be the promotion of road-riding.
Meetings were held regularly at 112 Golden Gate avenue until the present comfortable club-rooms at 321 Van Ness avenue were secured. The club has been active from the start. The membership has steadily increased and is composed almost entirely of young men who are not only good riders but good fellows as well. The uniform is of a bluish slate color and is one of the neatest on the coast. It is frequently seen grouped in club rooms or in single suits speeding along the roads around the bay. A beautiful badge, consisting of a front view of a bicycle wheel on wings, inclosed in a golden circle on which is the club name in enamelled letters, has also been adopted.
The officers for the present term are as follows: A. T. Janzen, president; L. L. Murch, vice-president; E. S. Battles, secretary and treasurer; J. T. Hancock, captain.
In order to decide the much-mooted question of the relative speed of its members the Pacific Road Club recently made arrangements for a five-mile road race, which was run yesterday on the San Leandro triangle. The start was made at 10:30 A. M. The men rode in a bunch, with C. Hazel in the lead, for the first mile, which was over the roughest part of the course. Then Captain Hancock took the lead and held it to the finish, the pace being made part of the way by several of the Alameda County wheelmen. The first prize, a handsome gold medal designed after the club emblem, was won by Captain Hancock, whose time - 16:11- is very good, and is said to be by 3 seconds the best yet made for a similar distance on the triangle. Lieutenant Battles came in second, his time being 16:50. The judges were Jessie Hazel, P. R. C., and C. E. Belloli, S. J. R. C. Starter and timer, V. A. Hancock, P. R. C.
CHAT ABOUT THE CYCLE. - Organization and Growth of the Pacific Road Club. - The San Francisco Call, 27 Jun 1892
A sensation bas been caused in cycling circles by the amalgamation of the Pacific Road Club and the San Francisco Bicycle Club, two of the leading bicycle organizations in this city. The San Francisco Bicycle Club enjoys the proud distinction of being the second bicycle club organized in Ameries. The Pacific Road Club was formed about eighteen months ago and contains many of the most active wheelmen in the State. The proposition for amalgamating the two clubs has been under consideration for several weeks and is really the outcome of the recent League of American Wheelmen fight in this State. The San Francisco Bicycle Club and the Bay City Wheelmen were arrayed against each other in the recent election. The Pacific Road Club sided in with the pioneer club and a strong friendship sprang up between the two clubs.
The Pacific Road Club held a meeting on Wednesday night in its clubrooms, corner of Van Ness avenue and Fulton streets. The proposition of the San Francisco Bicycle Club was submitted to the meeting by President Jesse Hazel. After considerable discussion it was unanimously agreed to amalgamate. The Pacific Road Club will be merged into the San Francisco Bicycle Club. The defunct club will have fair representation on the board of officers, as several of the San Francisco directors will resign so that members of the Pacific Rond Club can be appointed to fill their places. The arrangement was adjusted in a very amicable manner, and at the conclusion of the meeting Messrs. Knox and Welch of the San Francisco Club were introduced and made appropriate speeches.
The San Francisco Bicycle Club has now a membership of almost 200. The gentlemen who worked assiduously for the merging of the two clubs were Messrs. Knox and Edwards of the San Francisco Club and Messrs. Hazel, Loney, Ballard and Luby of the Pacific Road Club.
The San Francisco Bicycle Club was organized December 13, 1878. Colonel Ralph de Clairmont was the first president, and other prominent members were Captain George H. Strong, ex-governor George C. Perkins, John B. Golly, William H. Fuller, G. L. Cunningham, Fred G. Glynn and C. L. Barrett. The club incorporated this year with the following board of eleven directors; L. D. Owens, H. S. Field, Thomas R. Knox, H. J. Foley. J. C Spencer, H. C. Massie, Thomas R. Cobden, George F. Day, Eugene Unger, Will I. Pixley and B. T. Edwards
The clubrooms of the San Francisco Bicycle Club are on Golden Gate avenue.
THEY ARE ONE NOW. - THE LEADING BICYCLE CLUBS AMALGAMATED. - The Pacific Road Club Merged With the San Francisco Bicycle Club. - San Francisco Chronicle, 30 Dec 1892