East San Jose course
This took some figuring, but I believe this is the East San Jose course:
Various markers in Alum Rock Park represent something like "Quincey's motor-house:
Starting at an intersection of Penitencia Creek Road and Alum Rock Ave, which aligns roughly with the historical markers for Quincey's rail line electrification site, to East Santa Clara Street & North 24th Street - the original McLaughlin avenue - gets us 5.0 miles.
Thanks to folks on mastodon for the help, especially @firstname.lastname@example.org and @email@example.com. - MF
SAN JOSE, August 6. - The sixth of the series of five-mile road races under the auspices of the San Jose Road Club was held this morning on the East San Jose course, and Otto Ziegler carried off first honors, winning the race and also lowering the five-mile coast record. A large crowd was present, and the California Bicycle Club of San Francisco was well represented. There were also a number of other visiting wheelmen.
Betting was lively, Osen, Smith and Ziegler being the favorites. The scratch men were Ziegler, J. C. Smith and Oscar Osen. A. M. Hobson and C. J. Belloli were given thirty seconds handicap and J. T. Bailey and C. J. Sullivan forty seconds each. The starting point was Quincey's motor-house, and the handicap men kept their lead till McLaughlin avenue was reached. There Sullivan was first, Bailey second, Belloli third and Hobson fourth. The scratch men came next, with Ziegler first and Osen and Smith following. On the King road the three scratch men passed the handicaps, and Osen led the race when the turn into Alum Rock avenue was made on the homestretch. Ziegler was second. Then the exciting race began. When about 400 yards from the finish Ziegler made a remarkable spurt, and began to crowd up until he took the lead. He crossed the finish mark first, making the run in 14m. 42 1.5s., amid wild cheering; J. C. Smith second, 14m. 45s.; Oscar Osen third, 14m. 45 2-5s., and Sullivan fourth, 15m. 11s. All of these broke the coast record of 15m. 48 1-5s., made by J. C. Smith of this city, who was in this morning's race.
Sixth of a series of five-mile road races - San Jose Road Club - San Francisco Chronicle, 07 Aug 1893
Pages which link here:
- THE WHEELMEN. - The San Francisco Call, 27 Apr 1895 (← links)
- CYCLERS' NEW TRACK. - Matinee at the San Jose Course. - San Francisco Chronicle, 25 Mar 1895 (← links)
- THE WHEELMEN. - San Francisco Call, 27 July 1895 (← links)
- THE WHEELMEN. - San Jose Road Club's Five-Mile Road Race To-Morrow. - HE IS AN ENTHUSIAST. - Henry Martin Now Rides a Bike for Pleasure. - San Francisco Call, 3 August 1895 (← links)
- THE WHEELMEN. - J. E. Edwards Wants the World's Five-Mile Road Record. - The San Francisco Call, 18 May 1895 (← links)
- Sixth of a series of five-mile road races - San Jose Road Club - San Francisco Chronicle, 07 Aug 1893 (← links)
- File:Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 5.45.09 PM.png (← links)
- L. Maggini (← links)
- ANGRY COW AIDS LIVIO MAGGINI WIN BIKE RACE - San Jose Mercury-news, 19 August 1907 (← links)