Hardy Kenneth Downing Sr. 10 December 1877 – 9 July 1960
Brother of Lace Downing and Hardy Downing
Read more about Hardy Downing here: http://recycledandrecounted.blogspot.com/2018/01/downing-rode.html
The ninth was a hard ride past Hall's, Alvarado and Mount Eden over a miserable road and against a strong head wind. To give an idea how bad the conditions were Ulbricht, the Bay City man, who can negotiate ten miles under favorable circumstances in 25 minutes, could do no better than 33 min. 35 sec., and yet his was the best time of the relay - faster than the celebrated Olympian, Edwards, than the speedy Nissen, Acme, Downing Garden City, or Bates, Reliance, or crack riders.
There was more hard luck for the Garden City Club on the ninth. Downing, one of their best men, punctured his tire and lost considerable time for them. They were fourth at the beginning of the tenth. Edwards took the lead away from the Acmes, they being in second position.
Rider. Club. Time. Actual
1 J. E. Edwards Olympic 1:19:00 33:42 2 G. A. Nissen Acme 1:20:08 35:45 3 E. Ulbricht Bay City 1:20:48 33:36 4 H. Downing Garden C 1:21:48 37:25 5 Ted Belloli San Jose 1:25:24 34:44 6 C. D. Bates Jr Reliance 1:28:24 36:49 7 T. Farnsworth San Fran 1:30:48 37:35 8 J. J. Boree Imperial 1:31:12 35:19 9 R. Coulter California 1:31:24 35:44 10 F. E. Graham Alameda Did not finish. Fastest time - 1894, 33:00; 1895, 29:19.
WELLS WON FOR THE BAY CITYS. - For the Second Time This Club Gets the Relay Cup. 100-mile relay race - The San Francisco Call, 13 Apr 1896
Pages which link here:
- Garden City Cyclers (← links)
- Charles D. Bates, Jr. (← links)
- TO OLYMPUS ON WHEELS. - Annual Feast and Games of the O. C. Cyclers at Escalles. - San Francisco Chronicle, 14 May 1898 (← links)
- THE WHEELMEN. - The San Francisco Call, 07 Sep 1895 (← links)
- WELLS WON FOR THE BAY CITYS. - For the Second Time This Club Gets the Relay Cup. 100-mile relay race - The San Francisco Call, 13 Apr 1896 (← links)
- Ted Belloli (← links)
- T. Farnsworth (← links)
- J. J. Boree (← links)
- R. Coulter (← links)
- F. E. Graham (← links)
- ONE RECORD BROKEN. - Byrne Went a Half Mile at San Jose in 1:01. - The San Francisco Call - September 10, 1895 (← links)
- BYRNE MAKES A NEW RECORD. - San Francisco Examiner. September 10, 1895 (← links)
- Hardy Downing (redirect page) (← links)